Hemp and cannabis are often misunderstood. Although they are both some form of cannabis, they are distinct plants that are cultivated for different reasons.
What is Hemp?
Hemp is one of the oldest plants in the world, as it has been cultivated for industrial purposes for thousands of years. Hemp plants have provided a wide variety of purposes, as every part of the plant can be used for a significant purpose. For example, the hemp plant’s stems and seeds serve as a significant source of protein, vitamins, minerals, and more. Hemp oil, which is extracted from the hemp seeds, has many benefits as well, according to researchers.
Hemp was traditionally cultivated for textiles, materials, ropes, and even paper. It actually dates back to thousands of years ago, making it one of the most multifaceted plants to date.
Today, hemp is used for various purposes, including foods and beverages, oils, hempcrete (material alternative to concrete), bioplastic, and so much more. Because industrial hemp is grown so easily, it makes it a highly sustainable plant. In fact, hemp requires very little maintenance, meaning that it can grow in just about any environment, climate, and in a variety of soils. In addition, it requires little water to grow and does not require pesticides. Hemp plants grow much like a weed, as it grows quickly and in abundance, unlike the marijuana plant that requires a controlled climate and must be grown indoors.
Does Hemp Contain THC?
Hemp contains many different types of cannabinoids. In fact, one of those cannabinoids is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the high level of psychoactive compound found in the marijuana plant. The psychoactive compound known as THC, is what causes a high. However, industrial hemp cannot contain over 0.3% THC (legally). Hemp is legal in the U.S.; however, if it contains any more than 0.3% THC, then it is considered federally illegal. You can find a variety of hemp products in certain grocery stores and health food stores.
Differences in Cultivation
Another significant difference between hemp and marijuana is the way that each plant is cultivated. The hemp and marijuana plant are cultivated and harvested completely differently. Hemp is much easier to grow than marijuana. This is because hemp plants can be grown in just about any environment, climate, and soil. In fact, hemp plants grow similarly to a weed, meaning that they grow extremely fast and in abundance. Hemp plants can grow close in proximity right next to one another. In addition, hemp plants do not require pesticides and do not require a lot of irrigation. Because hemp plants do not require a lot of water to grow or harmful chemicals, such as pesticides, this makes it extremely eco-friendly and sustainable.
On the other hand, marijuana plants must be grown in indoor operations or greenhouses. These types of cannabis plants require much more maintenance in comparison to hemp plants. Marijana plants need a warm, humid, and controlled environment in order to grow. And unlike hemp plants, they need space in between plants in order to grow efficiently.
What Are the Uses of Hemp?
As mentioned previously, there is a myriad of uses for hemp.
- Hemp seeds: Hemp seeds are known as a superfood, as they are high in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, and have a healthy ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Hemp seeds can be added to a variety of foods and blended into drinks, such as smoothies, yogurt, salads, and much more.
- Hemp seed oil: Hemp seed oil can be consumed alone, added to foods and drinks or used topically, For example, you can add hemp oil to food and drinks, or have it alone. In addition, it can be used topically, as studies suggest that it may alleviate chronic pain or headaches when applied directly to the area experiencing pain.
- Hemp milk: Hemp milk is plant-based milk that is similar in flavor, look, and texture as regular milk. However, it is dairy-free and nut-free, making it the perfect alternative to regular milk. Hemp milk is rich in protein and can be found at a variety of grocery stores, as well as health food stores.
- Skin care: Skin care products, such as hemp oil, along with hemp creams have become extremely popular. This is because studies have shown that hemp contains a high amount of fatty acids and anti-inflammatory properties, which may contribute to better skin. Researchers have conducted a variety of studies surrounding skin ailments, such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, and other skin issues, showing that hemp products, such as oils and creams, may contribute to improved skin.
- Pet products: Pet products containing hemp have become widely popular since the passing of the 2018 Farm Bill. Some studies have shown that pet products containing hemp may contribute to improving certain ailments, including but not limited to, anxiety and stress, joint issues, skin problems, allergies, and pain relief, among many other purposes. Hemp pet products come in treats, oils, and more. However, it is always best to consult with your veterinarian before administering any hemp products or other types of supplements to your pet.
- Building and construction materials: Hempcrete, also known as hemplime, is one of the newest building materials used and is made from hemp, and lime, among other binders. This revolutionary and highly innovative material has truly set the bar in the construction industry for its durability, strength, and high power insulation and moisture control properties. It can be used as bricks, ceilings, panels, and more.
About Dripp Extracts
Dripp Extracts aims to be a reputable resource for education, providing valuable insight surrounding hemp, cannabis, and related topics. We are committed to keeping you up-to-date with the latest news, information, and developments surrounding hemp, ensuring that you stay informed and connected at all times. Our team strives to continue being a reputable resource in the hemp and cannabis industry, utilizing years of experience, skills, and research to help you stay informed and connected. If you wish to learn more about hemp with Dripp Extracts, feel free to visit https://drippextracts.com/learn for more information.
How to Use THC Sugar
Cannabis users who want to experience the full effects of THC without smoking or vaping can now turn to THC sugar as a viable option. Whether it’s for recreational use or medical purposes, these [...]
What is Considered a High-THC vape?
The 60s generation was infamous for the saying, “Sex, drugs, and rock ‘n’ roll,” and the surge in popularity of marijuana at the time is probably primarily responsible. Fast-forward to the present day, and [...]
What is a live resin cart?
Are you looking to experience a different kind of cannabis experience? Live resin carts (otherwise known as live resin vape cartridges) are becoming increasingly popular among marijuana consumers once again. This revolutionary form of [...]
How to Use Live Sugar
Cannabis enthusiasts, rejoice! There is a new and exciting way to enjoy your favorite marijuana strains - using live sugar. These revolutionary products are a unique and flavorful form of concentrated cannabis extract that [...]
Best Vaporizer Temperature for Weed
Need the perfect temperature for vaporizing cannabis? Look no further! This comprehensive article will give you all of the information that you need to guarantee a smooth and enjoyable dry herb vaping experience with [...]
Can You Smoke Sugar In A Pipe?
As more states continue to legalize cannabis, the market for new products has grown exponentially. Among these innovative products is sugar wax, a type of cannabis concentrate that is becoming increasingly popular among both recreational [...]