Cannabis oil is becoming increasingly popular as an alternative remedy for various ailments. With its many reported health benefits, it’s no surprise that people want to make their cannabis oil at home. This post explains the process of producing cannabis oil in an easy-to-follow step-by-step guide. We’ll also provide tips and tricks to ensure you get the most out of your homemade cannabis oil. Read on to learn how to make cannabis oil at home!
Choose the Right Ratio
Before you go out and buy a cannabis carrier oil, figure out how much you prefer. People typically begin with a 1:1 volume ratio of olive oil to cannabis. Combine 7 grams of cannabis (about a quarter cup’s worth) with 1 ounce (cup) of oil.
To produce cannabis oil with a lower THC content, combine one-eighth (or 3.5 grams) of cannabis with one cup of oil. A bigger quantity can be made by increasing either ingredient, but the ratio must be kept constant.
As expected, the first thing to do in a cannabis oil recipe is to gather materials and ingredients. Here’s what you need to make cannabis oil at home:
- 1 cup high-quality frying oil
- 5 grams of cannabis flower
- One reusable, nonstick baking sheet
- A double boiler or a single pot and bowl can be used on the cooktop.
- Cannabis grinder
- Strainer or cheesecloth
- A sterilized, sealed container
Thermometer or THC vape pen (both are optional)
Follow these steps to make cannabis oil:
1. Decarboxylate the Cannabis
An essential step in creating edibles or topicals is decarboxylating or decarbing cannabis. The cannabis is heated at this process, or “activated.” The effects of cannabinoids like THC and CBD on the body are enhanced when you decarb the cannabis first.
- Preheat your oven to 240°F.
- To ground your cannabis into little pieces, use a grinder.
- Spread the cannabis powder out equally on a baking sheet.
- Leave it in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Don’t go above 40 minutes to avoid harming the terpenes.
2. Let it Simmer on the Heat for a While
- Start up a double boiler. The oil can be heated without scorching if you use a double boiler. A double boiler is unnecessary but can be improvised with little effort. Put a heat-resistant dish over the top of a pot with half water in it. The bowl shouldn’t touch the water while it rests in the pot.
- Prepare a double boiler by heating water in it over a low flame.
- Pour some oil into a bowl or the top of a double boiler. When the water in your saucepan or double boiler is at a simmer, add 1 cup of oil to your bowl (or the top component of the boiler). The water and oil mustn’t mix at any point.
- Bring the oil to a temperature of 160°F to 180°F.
- Mix with the weed trimmings.
- To steep, maintain a temperature of 160° to 180°F for 2–4 hours, stirring occasionally. Adjust the stove’s heat to hold a steady temperature during the cooking process. If the water in the bottom pot of a double boiler evaporates throughout the infusion’s several hours of cooking, you may need to replenish it.
3. Strain Your Oil
- Make sure the strainer is in place. Clear some space on the kitchen counter for the glass jar by setting it on a dish towel. Then, with the jar open, place the cheesecloth over the top to filter the contents. Alternatively, you can use a fine mesh strainer instead of cheesecloth, but the finished mixture won’t be as clear.
- When ready, remove the oil and weed from the double boiler with care using an oven mitt.
- Put the oil through the filter or cheesecloth into the storage container. Avoid burns by pouring the liquid away from yourself.
- The best results can be achieved by straining it twice.
4. Store the Oil
Now that you know how to make cannabis oil, it’s crucial that you learn how to store it. Be sure to store the oil in an airtight glass container. Glass is a “neutral” material that won’t contaminate the oil like microplastics, and it will help the oil last longer.
The best place to store it is at room temperature and dark, like a cupboard. A darker environment is preferable because the more light there is, the worse it gets. It has a six-month shelf life if stored properly.
Which Oil Is the Best for Making Cannabis Oil at Home?
Cannabis needs fat molecules for digestion since it dissolves in fat. Products that are meant to be consumed must contain fat. To manufacture cannabis cooking oil, it is recommended to utilize either olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
Basically, choose an oil depending on what the recipe calls for and how well it combines with what you’re preparing. Coconut oil is the best delivery system for THC,” but “the heavy coconut smell doesn’t fit with everything.
Many professionals recommend olive oil as a starting point due to its inherent health benefits. According to experts olive oil possesses antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects. Because of its high monounsaturated fat content, olive oil is a convenient way to transport cannabis.
Ways to Use Cannabis Oil
Cannabis oil is versatile and may be used in healthy and indulgent recipes. Use whatever you would regularly find in a kitchen. Salacious dishes like stir-fries and sauces are included here. Wong suggests using infused olive oil as a finishing oil for fish, chicken, or grilled vegetables or drizzling it over vanilla ice cream with a sprinkle of flaky salt.
If the olive oil is high quality, you can even have it with toast and balsamic vinegar. A simple piece of bread and some olive oil makes for a wonderful meal. Also, it’s great for drizzling over pasta, which is one of my favorite uses.
One typical and fruitful application is in baking. Cannabis oil can be used instead of any other oil in the recipe to create edibles with a high THC concentration, such as cakes, brownies, or biscuits. However, you may need to adjust the cooking temperature to preserve the terpenes and cannabinoids. Be careful not to let the oven become hotter than 340 ℃. Heat won’t destroy the cannabinoids or terpenes.
Buy Cannabis Products from Dripp
Making cannabis oil is an easy and cost-effective way to make your cannabis-infused products. Not only is it a great way to save money, but it also allows you to customize your cannabis experience. With the right equipment and a little know-how, you can make your cannabis oil with minimal effort at home. That said, if you need high-quality cannabis flowers or other types of concentrates, visit Dripp.